After a long day of trout fishing, you’re tired and hungry. The last thing you want to do is to spend a lot of time cooking your freshly caught trout. Here’s a quick and easy trout recipe that takes about 20 minutes to prepare and cook.
1) First, catch some fresh rainbow trout (as a rule, I only keep stocked hatchery trout, I never keep wild trout).
2) Clean out the guts (it’s OK to leave the head on), scrap off scales with a knife, rinse and drain in a colander.
3) In a plastic food bag, mix the following ingredients well:
- about 1 cup flour (adjust according to the size of your fish)
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4) Place trout one at a time into the bag, blow in some air, and shake well, coating the fish well.
5) Heat about 1/4 cup canola oil in a large skillet, add 2 cloves of minced garlic, brown garlic slightly, and add fish. Sear each side of fish for a few minutes under high heat, then reduce heat and cover the skillet for a few more minutes to finish cooking (do not overcook).
6) Squeeze some fresh lemon juice over each fish, dash of salt to taste. Serve immediately with lemon mayonnaise sauce (mix equal portions of mayo and fresh lemon juice).