During the summer, a friend invited me to help drop pots for Dungeness crabs in Puget Sound. While waiting to check on the pots, we jigged for flatfish. The fishing was almost nonstop–we hooked an English sole every few minutes. Most were fairly small but a few were “dinner size” so they were destined for the steamer.
Here’s my super easy recipe for steamed English sole with soy sauce and ginger:
1) Gut, remove head, and scale the fish.
2) Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper.
3) Slice about one inch of fresh ginger and add to fish.
4) Steam the fish on a plate for about 15 minutes or until the flesh separates easily from the backbone.
5) Add about 5 tablespoons of soy sauce to the fish.
6) Mince 2 cloves of garlic and fry until slightly brown in 3 tablespoons of canola oil.
7) Drizzle the hot oil/ garlic mixture onto the fish and serve.